When it comes to investing, there is still a solid core of gurus and bloggers that maintain that buy and hold is the way to go. Indeed, even as some pundits declare buy and hold dead, there are those who maintain themselves as buy and hold, or at least long term, investors. For the average Joe investor, long term can be a good idea. It allows you to make long term gains that are often more than enough to beat inflation and provide you with income in your later years. Here are 50 blogs and blog posts that can help you develop a long term investing plan:
Dividend Investing Blogs
One of the best ways to earn a passive income from long term investing is to make use of dividend investing. You can receive dividends on a regular basis (monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or yearly) as income, or you can automatically reinvest your dividends into DRIPs that can compound your earnings [see Free Report: Everything You Need To Know About Commodity ETFs]
- The Dividend Guy is devoted to learning about earning passive income through dividend bearing stocks. You can read about his journey — and get insight for your own.
- Dividend Growth Investor provides helpful information on dividend bearing stocks, as well as strategies that can help you make the most of your dividend investing plan.
- Dividends4Life offers information about investments that are likely to yield higher dividends. Main focus is on helping you find specific investments that bear dividends.
- The Div Guy focuses on offering information that can help you build lifelong wealth through dividend investing. Includes great dividend investing plays.
- Living Off Dividends is a blog about how you can make your money work harder for you by choosing the right dividend paying investments. Economic and investing news as well.
- Dividends Value provides analysis of dividend investments, giving you solid ideas for high quality dividend investing.
- Dividend Money gives readers information about earning dividends, as well as an overview of the investment landscape and economic news.
- Bullish Dividends is a blog that is part of Trader’s Corner. Bullish Dividends offers insight into companies that historically pay good dividends so that you can set up a portfolio that offers long term yields.
- Dividend Basket provides latest dividend news on a variety of companies, helping you keep up to date on who is offering dividends — and what those dividends are.
- Dividend Tree focuses on strategies that you can employ to become a better dividend investor. Stock ideas, a sample portfolio and more provide readers with tools to chart out their own dividend investing plan.
Value Investing Blogs
When it comes to investing, some prefer companies and other investments with long term value. These value investments tend to make steady, solid gains over the long term. These types of investments can help you shore up your portfolio, giving you venerable investments that have general stood the test of time. [For more ETF analysis, make sure to sign up for our free ETF newsletter or try a free seven day trial to ETFdb Pro]
- Buying Value focuses on finding sustainable investments that can help the long term investor get the best value for the money. Spends time on investment theory as practiced by buy and hold legends.
- Goode Value investing & Trading Blog plays on the author’s last name. This blog focuses on value investing and choosing investments that represent solid, fundamental value — even if they aren’t “cheap”.
- Reflections on Value Investing is a blog that offers a variety of articles on long term value investing from a number of editors. Recaps of stockholder meetings (notably Berkshire Hathaway) and wisdom from buy and hold giants is included.
- Stock Market Prognosticator emphasizes value investing while looking into the factors that shape the stock market today — and in the future.
- Contrarian Value Investing offers a look at value investing with a contrarian bent.
- The Graham Investor makes use of the investing philosophy of Benjamin Graham. Helpful information on how Wall Street works and on value investing.
- Disciplined Approach to Investing provides a look at value investing, with a special focus on dividends. The idea is to be a disciplined investor, choosing solid investments with staying power.
- Value Investing Congress Blog is all about in-depth analysis on value investments. Also provides helpful historical information and informative articles.
- Retire Rich focuses on value investing as a way to build long term wealth — especially for retirement.
- Sham Gad on Value Investing looks at wisdom and the philosophies of long term value investors Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett.
- Value Investing World offers news and information on value investing — along with occasional random thoughts.
- Value Investing News gathers headlines from around the Web, and puts them into one blog that is easy to read. Find what you need about long term value investing in one place.
Mutual Funds and Index Funds Blogs
Some believe that the cornerstone to effective long term investing is the use of mutual funds and/or index funds. (Technically, index funds are a type of mutual fund.) These are great for buy and hold investors — as long as you can find funds with low costs.
- The Oblivious Investor is known for its emphasis on index funds. Mike Piper, the author of the blog, is a confirmed long term investor. Information focuses on how index funds can be used to create a buy and hold portfolio that adequately provides for long term income needs.
- Fund My Mutual Fund looks at the possibilities of mutual fund investing, providing analysis and information.
- Good Funds Advisor provides information about mutual funds and analysis that can help you learn more about different fund opportunities.
- MUTUALdecision Blog provides information on individual mutual funds, as well as helpful insight on market movements and investing news.
- Tip’d offers a number of blog posts from around the Web that focus on mutual funds and other types of funds.
- Wylie Money provides tips, information and sample portfolios to help you with your mutual fund investing.
- Lee’s Mutual Funds Blog on About.com offers the latest news in mutual fund investing, as well as insight and helpful information.
- Personal Dividends has a Fund Investing series that focuses on long term investing with various types of funds.
- JustForFunds focuses mainly on mutual funds and helping you find low cost mutual funds for long term investing.
Exchange traded funds (ETFs) are funds that are traded on the stock market the same way as individual stock shares are. They generally have low costs. These investments can be used in a long term portfolio, offering fairly reliable returns.
- ETF Expert provides information and advice about ETF investing, as well as analysis.
- Dave’s Daily ETF Blog on ETF Digest charts ETF movements and investment ideas. Helpful insights and tax tips are also available.
- ETFdb.com offers information on exchange traded funds and how they can be used in a number of portfolios — especially long term portfolios.
- Rocket Science Investing focuses on ETFs and which funds are likely to give you the best results.
- Mark’s Exchange Traded Funds Blog is the About.com page on ETFs. You can learn about incorporating ETFs into your long term investing strategy and get solid information and analysis.
- ETF Corner provides analysis and insight into specific ETFs. While the Corner focuses on technical trades, it is possible to garner some long term information, and find links to other useful ETF resources.
Blog Posts that Address Long Term Investing
Even if they aren’t especially devoted to specifically to buy and hold investing, there are a number of blogs that address long term investing. Insightful blog posts can help you get a better idea of creating a buy and hold plan that fits your needs, as well as how to use the investing vehicles often used in buy and hold strategies.
- Amateur Asset Allocator addresses the costs of Vanguard Index Funds. Long held as the cheapest index funds, Vanguard is no longer that. Make sure you shop around to get the best prices on your funds.
- Steadfast Finances offers a look at Jim Cramer vs. John Bogle in the matter of index funds and long term investing.
- Get Rich Slowly provides three lessons from Warren Buffett. Perfect for the buy and hold investor.
- Dough Roller gives some great advice on how to choose your first mutual fund. I think it works for choosing other mutual funds as well.
- Five Cent Nickel has some insight into choosing dividend paying stocks from the upper crust of the S&P 500.
- Budgets are $exy offers a look at what long term investing can do for you if you start by the time you are 26.
- Think Your Way to Wealth explores the purported death of buy and hold and explains how it might be misunderstood.
- The Simple Dollar has an oldie but goodie about how long term investments can help you grow rich.
- My Money Blog explains how you can use tax loss harvesting on your buy and hold mutual funds and ETFs.
- Free Money Finance offers a great post about the reasons to invest in index funds.
- All Financial Matters exhorts readers to hang in there with their long term investing plans — especially if they are on the younger side.
- Bargaineering offers a series (this is Part 4) on model ETFs that can help you build a long term investing plan and portfolio.
- Moolanomy has an interesting take on SRI mutual funds — whether they are worth some of the extra costs.
ETF Database is not an investment advisor, and any content published by ETF Database does not constitute individual investment advice. The opinions offered herein are not personalized recommendations to buy, sell or hold securities. From time to time, issuers of exchange-traded products mentioned herein may place paid advertisements with ETF Database. All content on ETF Database is produced independently of any advertising relationships. Read the full disclaimer here.