The December issue of ETF Edge, the monthly ETF Newsletter, is now available to ETFdb Pro subscribers. This month’s issue takes a look at a busy month in the ETF industry as a slew of new products hit the markets creating stiff competition in a variety of categories. We also unveil our final actionable investment ideas of 2010 and discuss some of the main winners and losers heading into 2011. Highlights include:
- Heard On The Street: In an expanded version of this section, we take a look at all the big stories in the ETF industry over the last month, including regulatory insights, and a focus on some of the more complex products to hit the market recently. Of particular interest to investors this month is likely to be the numerous additions in the Volatility ETFdb Category as well as a host of ETNs tracking various other indexes.
- Actionable ETF Investment Ideas: This month’s actionable investment ideas include a play on a commodity mining fund, a new high yield bond security, a way to play current geopolitical events in Asia, and a long/short idea.
- ETFdb Portfolios: Two of our ETF experts lay out their all-ETF model portfolios, explaining their methodology for allocating assets in the current environment.
- Coming and Going: Although November was a slow month for product development in the first few weeks, activity picked up in the final few days as 17 products debuted on the final day of the month. Many of the new ETPs to hit the market last month focus in on either the VIX index or international markets, allowing investors to have even more choices in both of these increasingly important asset classes.
- ETF Spotlight: In this segment, we highlight an ETF that is flying under the radars of most investors, but that may present an intriguing investment option in the current environment. The December edition examines a way for investors to play companies that could prove to be innovators in any market environment, potentially leading to new products that help these impressive companies maintain their lead over the competition.
- ETF Scorecard: In this month’s scorecard, we examine some of the leaders and laggards based on weighting methodologies in order to see how the different methods stack up. This month saw one market cap size dramatically outperform all others, see inside the edition to find out which one crushed the competition.
- Sector & Region Outlook: This snapshot of global investment opportunities continues to show impressive flexibility, once again changing significantly from the previous month. This edition’s grid features some separation between various sector-specific and region-specific funds thanks to ongoing turmoil in Europe which helped to push European ETFs to extremely low forward PE multiples when compared with the other world regions.
- Inside The ETFdb 60 Index: We take a look at the biggest gainers and losers in our all-ETF index for the month of November, taking a closer look at some of the drivers for each.
- Now Is The Season To: December means planning for taxes for many investors and in this edition we highlight a few simple ways that investors can limit their tax bills through smart use of ETFs.