A new ETF research report from ETFdb focuses on a corner of the financial markets that has seen a surge in investor interest in recent years: commodities. There are now more than a dozen broad-based commodity ETPs with aggregate assets of more than $10 billion, highlighting the growing interest in achieving access to this asset class through the exchange-traded structure.
The introduction of these commodity ETPs in recent years has democratized an asset class that has the potential for both big returns and meaningful diversification benefits; complex commodity strategies that would have historically required significant time and money commitments are now readily accessible through a single exchange-traded vehicle.
While there are some general similarities between the 13 broad-based commodity ETPs, these products are hardly identical–as evidenced by some wildly divergent historical returns. This ETF research report takes an in-depth look at each, highlighting the elements of the portfolio composition and product structure that make each unique. The team of ETFdb analysts also jumps in to the case for commodities in a long-term portfolio, and examines the factors that should be considered when analyzing potential commodity ETF investments.
- PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (DBC)
- UBS E-TRACS Bloomberg CMCI ETN (UCI)
- United States Commodity Index Fund (USCI)
- iShares GSCI Commodity-Indexed Trust Fund (GSG)
- iPath S&P GSCI Total Return Index ETN (GSP)
- GS Connect S&P GSCI Enhanced Commodity TR ETN (GSC)
- GreenHaven Continuous Commodity Index Fund (GCC)
- UBS DJ-UBS Commodity Index Total Return ETN (DJCI)
- iPath Dow Jones-UBS Commodity Index TR ETN (DJP)
- PowerShares DB Commodity Long ETN (DPU)
- Rogers International Commodity ETN (RJI)
- Pure Beta S&P GSCI-Weighted ETN (SBV)
- iPath Pure Beta Broad Commodity ETN (BCM)
The research report In Search Of The Best Commodity ETF is available to ETFdb Pro members, or with a free 7-day trial to ETFdb Pro.