ETF Database has introduced another new resource to its lineup of analytical tools designed to help financial advisors and individual investors navigate through the rapidly-increasing universe of exchange-traded products: ETF Scorecards that provide relevant, timely, and unbiased analysis of more than 1,300 ETPs. The ETF Scorecards are in-depth, customized analyst reports that highlight the noteworthy features of each ETF in plain English, alongside rankings of the fund on 20+ metrics including expenses, performance, volatility, and distributions [see links to sample ETF Scorecards below].
Each ETF Scorecard includes:
- Analyst Take: An objective analysis from the team of ETFdb analysts that highlights any unique aspects that make an ETF unique. We highlight how an ETF might fit in to a portfolio, note any subtle attributes that may impact the risk / return profile, and offer our take on the composition of the underlying portfolio–both good and bad. The Analyst Take is our unbiased, objective opinion–-in plain English.
- Detailed Expense Analysis & Comparison: Each ETF Scorecard presents a detailed comparison of the expense structure, including a comparison relative to the broader ETF industry and products within the same ETFdb Category that are generally deemed to maintain similar investment objectives. This segment also includes information on availability of commission free trading for each ETF–as well as names and platforms of other ETFs in the same ETFdb Category that are available commission free.
- Historical Performance Evaluation: The ETF Scorecard shows where each ETF stacks up relative to its competition in terms of historical performance across up to eight different time periods (one week to five years). Each report includes a rank of the ETF within its ETFdb Category, as well as the best and worst performers from the peer group.
- Dividend / Valuation Analysis: For investors in search of current income, the ETF Scorecard includes an analysis of the yields offered by ETFs that make distributions. Each report includes the rank within the ETFdb Category based on dividend yield and P/E ratio, as well as the comparable ETFs with the highest and lowest scores.
- Technical Analysis: For those who rely on technical indicators, each ETF Scorecard includes more than a dozen different metrics, such as moving average, support and resistance levels, and relative strength.
- ETF X-Ray: Each report comes with a detailed look under the hood, showing a breakdown of asset class, sector exposure, and regional weightings (as applicable). For fixed income products, the ETF Scorecard includes breakdowns by coupon rate, credit quality, and duration.
- ETF Alternatives: Finally, each ETF Scorecard directs investors to potentially intriguing alternatives, identifying ETFs from the same ETFdb Category demonstrating the greatest liquidity and top performance (among other factors).
Access to 1,300+ ETF Scorecards is available with a subscription to ETFdb Pro, which also includes more than two dozen all-ETF model portfolios, actionable ideas in the ETF Insider column, and much more (sign up for a free 7-day trial to Pro to get access to all content).
Free previews of the ETF Scorecards are available for ten of the largest and most popular ETFs:
- S&P 500 SPDR (SPY)
- Gold SPDR (GLD)
- MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (VWO)
- MSCI EAFE Index Fund (EFA)
- MSCI Emerging Markets Index Fund (EEM)
- S&P 500 Index Fund (IVV)
- PowerShares QQQ (QQQ)
- Barclays TIPS Bond Fund (TIP)
- Total Market ETF (VTI)
- iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Fund (LQD)
We’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the ETF scorecards and any other ideas for useful ETF analytical tools – drop us a line if you’ve got questions, comments, or ideas.
Disclosure: Long IVV.
ETF Database is not an investment advisor, and any content published by ETF Database does not constitute individual investment advice. The opinions offered herein are not personalized recommendations to buy, sell or hold securities. From time to time, issuers of exchange-traded products mentioned herein may place paid advertisements with ETF Database. All content on ETF Database is produced independently of any advertising relationships. Read the full disclaimer here.