With earnings season in full swing, investors turned their attention to the latest quarterly reports from big name companies. Caterpillar (CAT)–one of the biggest manufacturers of construction and mining equipment–posted lower-than-expected quarterly results and cut its full year forecast. 3M (MMM) and Ford Motor Company (F) beat analyst expectations, while telecom giant AT&T (T) also topped earnings estimates, though revenues fell in line with expectations. In economic news, initial jobless claims fell last week by 12,000, but came in higher than analyst expectations. U.S. imports and exports were reported virtually unchanged in August [see How To Invest In 2013's Breakthrough Technologies].
Below, we highlight seven insightful articles circulating around the financial space this week:
- The dividend challenge (Mebane Faber)
- China’s coming shale gas boom (Quartz)
- Hidden debt must still be repaid (Michael Pettis)
- Energy stocks and crude oil out of sync (Charts etc.)
- Why Buffett didn’t buy the Washington Post (CNN Money)
- Technicals: How to use time stops (The Stock Bandit)
- What Nobel Laureates think of equity bubbles (Financial Times)
Follow me on Twitter @DPylypczak.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.