With the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbing to all-time highs last week it’s no surprise to see the divide between the bulls and the bears reach extremes as well. While some investors are calling this the start of the next great bull-run, others are equally convinced that equities are long-overdue for a major correction. As such, the bulls continue to cite the string of upbeat economic data that has been hitting the street while the bears are eyeing the stellar run-up thus far on the year as an opportunity to profit from an imminent pullback [see also How To Hedge With ETFs].
Below, we highlight ETFs that may see an increase in trading activity as relevant market data is released and evaluated by investors:
- SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT, A): U.S. retailers may be in for a volatile trading session this Wednesday as investors digest the latest sales data. Analysts are expecting for retail sales to have grown by 0.6% in February versus the previous figure of 0.1%.
- MSCI New Zealand Investable Market Index Fund (ENZL, A): This ETF could gap in either direction Thursday morning as investors digest the overnight Reserve Bank of New Zealand rate decision. Analysts are expecting for interest rates to remain unchanged at 2.50%, although economic commentary after the decision can lead to swings in the equity market.
- CurrencyShares Euro Currency Trust (FXE, A): The euro will come into the spotlight this Friday morning as markets react to the latest inflation data out of the currency bloc. Analysts are expecting for the region’s CPI to come in unchanged at 1.8%.
- DB USD Index Bullish (UUP, A): Investors will also digest U.S. inflation data on Friday morning, with analysts expecting the latest CPI figure to come in at 1.8%, marking a slight increase over last month’s reading of 1.6%.
The stock market’s uptrend has demonstrated great resilience since the start of 2013 as every pullback has welcomed new buyers, despite the impressive gains since the November 16th lows last year. With no major economic data releases slated to take place this week, markets may find themselves drifting sideways and easily swayed by headlines. From a technical perspective, the S&P 500 Index has immediate support around 1,525 along with major resistance near the 1,570 mark.
Below, we have highlighted three trading ideas for the upcoming week. Note that most of these recommendations require active management as they are only relevant for a very short period of time. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit-taking techniques.
Actionable ETF Idea #1: Long FXA
Pro Membership Required to Continue ReadingTo continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 14-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 50+ All-ETF model portfolios. Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition. Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged and also export results to Microsoft Excel from every tool.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- ETF Insider weekly & actionable ideas packed with regular updates and analysis on all major asset classes, includes recommendations for active traders.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.