Santa came late this year but the fact that he showed up at all was good enough for investors on Wall Street. Policymakers in Washington D.C. managed to steer us away from the fiscal cliff, at least for now that is, as they struck a deal in virtually the last moment possible. The bull parade began on December 31st and carried over into the new year, and surprisingly the Fed hinting at ending its bond-repurchase program during Thursday’s meeting wasn’t enough to erode investors’ confidence, perhaps suggesting that optimism is here to stay [see Free 7 Simple & Cheap All-ETF Portfolios].
Below, we highlight how the ETFdb Analyst Picks have been performing, noting any important fundamental catalysts while also keeping an eye on key technical levels for our recommendations. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit-taking techniques:
|Utilities Select Sector SPDR|
With “fiscal cliff” woes off the table for now, XLU has managed to recover a good chunk of the losses accumulated post-election. This ETF is still trading below its 200-day moving average which is frustrating, however, it does offer some encouragement as it appears to be moving along a rising support level. The next hurdle for XLU comes in at $36 a share and a break above this level should entice buyers who are still waiting on the sidelines.
Pro Membership Required to Continue ReadingTo continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 14-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 50+ All-ETF model portfolios. Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition. Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged and also export results to Microsoft Excel from every tool.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- ETF Insider weekly & actionable ideas packed with regular updates and analysis on all major asset classes, includes recommendations for active traders.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.