All eyes were on the Federal Reserve this week, as the central bank announced it would cut back further on its stimulus measures, which consequently sent emerging market equities into a tailspin. On Thursday, however, a positive fourth quarter U.S. GDP report helped stabilize markets; data showed the economy expanding 3.2% in the last quarter of 2013. In other economic news, initial jobless claims rose by 19,000 to 348,000 in the last week, slightly above expectations of 330,000 [see The Fed Effect: How Monetary Policy Impacts Your ETFs].
Below, we highlight seven insightful articles circulating around the financial space this week:
- Meb Faber’s market outlook 2014 (Meb Faber)
- What made the U.S. economy grow in 2013? (Quartz)
- When easy money ends (Project Syndicate)
- How to protect your portfolio from a bigger correction (Zor Trades)
- BDCs take off as mainstream investors seek credit alternatives (Institutional Investor)
- 9 Things to know about Obama’s myRA (WSJ)
- A closer look at investment traps (CFA Institute)
Follow me on Twitter @DPylypczak.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.