Volatility Category Report
Last modified: March 29, 2012
The Volatility ETFdb Category contains 30 ETFs with a total market capitalization of approximately $3.86 billion (as of March 29, 2012)
The following are the largest ETFs in this ETFdb Category by market capitalization (as of March 29, 2012):
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||$1.95 billion|
|XIV||VelocityShares Inverse VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||$437.62 million|
|VXZ||iPath CBOE S&P 500 VIX Mid-Term Futures ETN||$321.94 million|
ETFs in this ETFdb Category are designed to provide investors with exposure to equity market volatility, primarily to the volatility of the S&P 500 as measured by the CBOE Volatility Index (the “VIX Index”). Investments offering volatility exposure can have multiple uses in a portfolio, including hedging, directional, and arbitrage strategies. Holdings in volatility instruments tend to be short-term or intermediate-term in nature.
Pro Membership Required to Continue ReadingTo continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 14-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 50+ All-ETF model portfolios. Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition. Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged and also export results to Microsoft Excel from every tool.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- ETF Insider weekly & actionable ideas packed with regular updates and analysis on all major asset classes, includes recommendations for active traders.