Volatility Category Report
Last modified: March 29, 2012
The Volatility ETFdb Category contains 30 ETFs with a total market capitalization of approximately $3.86 billion (as of March 29, 2012)
The following are the largest ETFs in this ETFdb Category by market capitalization (as of March 29, 2012):
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||$1.95 billion|
|XIV||VelocityShares Inverse VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||$437.62 million|
|VXZ||iPath CBOE S&P 500 VIX Mid-Term Futures ETN||$321.94 million|
ETFs in this ETFdb Category are designed to provide investors with exposure to equity market volatility, primarily to the volatility of the S&P 500 as measured by the CBOE Volatility Index (the “VIX Index”). Investments offering volatility exposure can have multiple uses in a portfolio, including hedging, directional, and arbitrage strategies. Holdings in volatility instruments tend to be short-term or intermediate-term in nature.
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading
- Access to 50+ All-ETF model portfolios. Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition. Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged and also export results to Microsoft Excel from every tool.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- ETFdb Analyst Picks offer investment recommendations suited for longer-term traders; each Analyst Pick includes a fundamental rationale as well a suggested stop-loss and price target.
ETF Database is not an investment advisor, and any content published by ETF Database does not constitute individual investment advice. The opinions offered herein are not personalized recommendations to buy, sell or hold securities. From time to time, issuers of exchange-traded products mentioned herein may place paid advertisements with ETF Database. All content on ETF Database is produced independently of any advertising relationships. Read the full disclaimer here.