ETF Edge: August 2012
Welcome to the August edition of ETF Edge! Up-down trading across stock markets fueled by ongoing debt drama in the Euro zone was the theme in July. Looming threats in the overseas currency bloc have yet to be resolved, although many are hopeful that lawmakers will “pull out the big guns” so to speak in order to ensure the unity of the financially-fragile region. However, political gridlock in the Euro zone may prolong the already frustratingly slow road to recovery, which would surely add to the growing clouds of uncertainty looming over the global economy.
Amidst another choppy month of trading on Wall Street, ETF issuers both big and small continue to ramp up activity on the product development front. Several first-to-market products hit the street over the past month along with a new entrant to the industry, bringing the product lineup closer and closer to the 1,500 mark. Inside ETF Edge, we feature actionable ETF investment ideas and also break down the best and worst performers to date this year; our databank of over 1,400 exchange-traded products provides a flexible resource for investors and advisors to analyze the performance and products available in every ETFdb Category.
Here’s a look at what’s inside this month’s ETF Edge:
- Actionable ETF Investment Ideas: Our team of analysts recaps the performance of last month’s recommendations while also taking the time to offer new actionable ETF investment ideas for the month ahead.
- Coming and Going: In this section, we highlight the investment thesis behind each new ETP that launched in July.
- ETF Spotlight: In this segment we highlight an ETF that is flying under the radars of most investors, but that may present an intriguing investment option in the current environment. This month’s spotlight focuses on a new actively-managed ETF that looks to outperform broad equity benchmarks by employing a unique “top-down” analysis and proprietary security selection strategy.
- Sector & Region Outlook: In this section, we take a look at pricing multiples across the U.S. economy and around the world, pointing out some noteworthy developments.
- Inside The ETFdb 60 Index: We take a look at the biggest gainers and losers in our all-ETF index from the past month.
- Now Is The Season To: Given the rampant volatility seen across currency markets lately, this section focuses on a lineup of innovative products that look to bring stability to investments in foreign markets.
- ETF Performance Database: Year-to-date performance and expense data for all 1,400+ U.S.-listed ETFs, organized by ETFdb Category.