ETF Edge: June 2012
Welcome to the June edition of ETF Edge! Profit taking was the theme in May. Selling pressures intensified throughout the month as lingering Euro zone debt drama spilled over onto Wall Street, yet again. Political gridlock in Greece has prompted many to reevaluate the faith of the euro as a whole, seeing as how a number of member nations from the currency bloc have been standing on shaky fiscal footing for the last two years. Economic data releases on the home front have also been less than stellar, leading many to believe that further quantitative easing will be necessary to sustain any sort of momentum in this recovery.
To contrast the flurry of trading activity on Wall Street, the product development front has been far less tumultuous. ETF issuers continue to roll out innovative, first-t0-market products that allow mainstream investors to easily access previously hard-to-reach asset classes. Inside ETF Edge, we feature actionable ETF investment ideas and also break down the best and worst performers to date this year; our databank of over 1,400 exchange-traded products provides a flexible resource for investors and advisors to analyze the performance and products available in every ETFdb Category.
Here’s a look at what’s inside this month’s ETF Edge:
- Actionable ETF Investment Ideas: Our team of analysts looks back on how our May picks played out while also taking the time to recommend new actionable ETF investment ideas for the month ahead.
- Coming and Going: In this section, we highlight the investment thesis behind each new ETP that launched in May.
- ETF Spotlight: In this segment we highlight an ETF that is flying under the radars of most investors, but that may present an intriguing investment option in the current environment. This month’s spotlight focuses on a unique commodity ETF that serves to offer incredibly well-balanced exposure, while also making strides to minimize the impacts of contango.
- Sector & Region Outlook: In this section, we take a look at pricing multiples across the U.S. economy and around the world, pointing out some noteworthy developments.
- Inside The ETFdb 60 Index: We take a look at the biggest gainers and losers in our all-ETF index from the past month.
- Now Is The Season To: Uncertainty in all corners of the market brings our focus to a particular group of commodity producers that are poised for tremendous grow in the future as global demographic trends play out.
- ETF Performance Database: Year-to-date performance and expense data for all 1,400+ U.S.-listed ETFs, organized by ETFdb Category.