ETF Edge: September 2012
Welcome to the September edition of ETF Edge! Thin trading volumes and sideways price action were dominant themes last month as the summer doldrums took hold of Wall Street. With no major developments in Europe to throw the bulls off course, major equity benchmarks continued their ascent. Solid U.S. GDP results served to remind investors that although sluggish, the domestic recovery is still very much underway. Hopes of additional stimulus from the Fed continue to encourage volatile trading around key press conferences, however, markets appear to be content with the Chairman’s “wait and see” approach at least for now.
Amidst a slow month for trading on Wall Street, ETF issuers both big and small continued to roll out new products and fill the development pipeline. Inside ETF Edge, we feature actionable ETF investment ideas and also break down the best and worst performers to date this year; our databank of over 1,400 exchange-traded products provides a flexible resource for investors and advisors to analyze the performance and products available in every ETFdb Category. Here’s a look at what’s inside this month’s ETF Edge:
- Actionable ETF Investment Ideas: Our team of analysts looks back on how our August recommendations played out while also taking the time to outline several new actionable ETF investment ideas for the weeks ahead.
- Coming and Going: In this section, we highlight the investment thesis behind each new ETP that launched in August.
- ETF Spotlight: In this segment we highlight an ETF that is flying under the radars of most investors, but that may present an intriguing investment option in the current environment. This month’s spotlight focuses on a recently launched ETF which offers core equity exposure along with a mechanism to protect investors from spikes in volatility all under one ticker.
- Sector & Region Outlook: In this section, we take a look at pricing multiples across the U.S. economy and around the world, pointing out some noteworthy developments.
- Inside The ETFdb 60 Index: We take a look at the biggest gainers and losers in our all-ETF index from the past month.
- Now Is The Season To: Given the rather directionless action observed across major equity benchmarks in recent weeks, we look to highlight a unique breed of ETFs that can serve to offer uncorrelated sources of returns.
- ETF Performance Database: Year-to-date performance and expense data for all 1,400+ U.S.-listed ETFs, organized by ETFdb Category.