RAFI ETFdb Portfolio
The RAFI ETFdb Portfolio is designed for investors looking to construct a well balanced and cost efficient equity portfolio, but who are interesting in avoiding traditional weighting methodologies that determine individual security allocations based on market capitalization.
Many of the indexes underlying the most popular equity ETFs are cap-weighted; the component stocks and weighting afforded to each are determined based on the company’s market capitalization (which is equal to share price multiplied by shares outstanding). While this methodology for index construction is popular, many have voiced concerns over the concept of constructing investable assets (i.e., ETFs) that determine holdings in the same way.
The primary criticism of market capitalization weighted indexes is this: because there is a direct relationship between stock price and the weighting assigned, there is the potential to overweight overvalued stocks and underweight undervalued stocks. The RAFI concept was devised by Research Affiliates, a firm founded by Rob Arnott. This methodology uses multiple fundamental measures of size to determine weighting structures. Instead of determining component stocks and individual allocations based on market cap, the FTSE RAFI Index series is designed to “reflect each company’s current economic footprint” by analyzing five-year average sales, five-year average cash flow, book value, and five-year average dividends. “The point of fundamental indexing isn’t to cherry-pick specific measures that have historically worked well,” says Arnott. “It’s to build a portfolio that broadly represents the overall economy.”
In terms of individual stocks, this ETFdb Portfolio will maintain significant overlap with portfolios constructed using cap-weighted indexes. The primary difference–the weighting methodology–may seem minor, but it can have a very real impact on bottom line return. For investors who buy in to the RAFI methodology, this ETFdb Portfolio provides an outline for constructing a balanced portfolio that will avoid the potential pitfalls of cap weighting.
It should be noted that this ETFdb Portfolio consists entirely of equities; no fixed income, real estate, or currency ETFs are included. As such, investors interested in the investment thesis behind this ETFdb Portfolio but unwilling to maintain 100% equity exposure may wish to combine the components profiled herein with a mix of fixed income funds.
Because this ETFdb Portfolio consists entirely of equity securities, it is designed to be used in conjunction with other asset classes, potentially including fixed income and commodities. The ratings below reflect the characteristics of this ETFdb Portfolio relative to other all-equity portfolios.
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading
- Access to 50+ All-ETF model portfolios. Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition. Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged and also export results to Microsoft Excel from every tool.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- ETFdb Analyst Picks offer investment recommendations suited for longer-term traders; each Analyst Pick includes a fundamental rationale as well a suggested stop-loss and price target.
ETF Database is not an investment advisor, and any content published by ETF Database does not constitute individual investment advice. The opinions offered herein are not personalized recommendations to buy, sell or hold securities. From time to time, issuers of exchange-traded products mentioned herein may place paid advertisements with ETF Database. All content on ETF Database is produced independently of any advertising relationships. Read the full disclaimer here.